Bag-making is a great way to take care of your wardrobe and generate some extra income. It requires an excellent heavy-duty sewing machine that can handle big projects. In this blog post, we will show you the best heavy-duty sewing machines for bag making so that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about which one best suits your needs.
I have been making bags for years, but I always struggled with sewing. The bag would never stay sewn together and it was just a frustrating process. So when I found this list of the 5 best heavy-duty sewing machines to use in my craftwork, it made me so excited! Now that I have these five machines on hand, my projects are going much smoother than they were before. Plus, having all of these options have allowed me to get creative with different stitches and embellishments like never before.
Here is the list of Top 6 Bag Making Sewing Machines
The best sewing machine for bag making can be a challenge to find. With so many options out there, it’s hard to tell which one will suit your needs the best. To help you with this task, we have compiled a list of 5 heavy-duty sewing machines that are perfect for creating and repairing bags and other items in need of reinforcement.
best heavy-duty sewing machine for bag making. This best-selling model is an excellent machine for beginners and advanced sewers. It has a durable all-metal body and performs best on multiple-layer projects such as jeans, saddlebags, tents, etc. It has a maximum speed of 800 stitches per minute and comes with an instructional DVD for your convenience.
The Janome HD1000 is a heavy-duty sewing machine with 14 built-in stitches and features like an automatic needle threader. It has a free arm for sewing pants, cuffs, and collars and drops feed for darning, stippling, attaching buttons, and other free motion applications. The HD1000 even has a built-in automatic needle threader – Thread your needle with ease and without eye strain!
The HD1000 is ideal for quilting or making home décor projects such as pillows, table runners, tote bags, or yoga mats. You can even make a baby quilt or sew curtains and drapes.
- This machine is a heavy-duty sewing machine that can handle anything from home décor to clothing.
- It has an easy-to-read LCD screen and includes many built-in stitches for any project.
- The stitch selector on the front of the machine makes it easy to choose your desired stitch.
- There are eight different presser feet included with this Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine, including buttonhole foot, zipper foot, and more!
- This Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine also comes with a hardcover case for storage and travel purposes.
- With so many features at an affordable price point, you won’t want to pass up this opportunity! This is one purchase you’ll never regret making.
- Drop Feed
- Needle Threader
- Durable Metal Body
- Maximum speed: 800 stitches per minute
- 13 built-in stitches
- Automatic bobbin winding system with automatic needle threader
- Hardcover included for best protection
- Free arm for sewing pants, cuffs, and collars
- Automatic back tacking stitch
- Top drop-in bobbin system
Small bobbin requiring frequent refilling
Best heavy-duty sewing machine for bag making. The best thing about the Heavy Duty 1850 is that it has 100 built-in stitches, including utility, decorative, and heirloom stitches, to help you complete almost any project. It comes with an automatic needle threader and a one-step buttonhole maker to avoid all the hassle of doing them manually.
The computerized model also features twin needles which help give your projects professional finishing touches by producing perfectly straight seams every time!
This best-selling best heavy-duty sewing machine is perfect for beginners looking for affordable options but still, want high-quality results. With an instructional DVD, you will be able to start creating your very own best heavy-duty sewing machine in no time.
Brother Project Runway Sewing and Embroidery Machine best heavy-duty sewing machine for jeans. Suppose you have been looking at buying a new best heavy-duty sewing machine but are not sure if it is right for you – a great place to begin, maybe with the best selling Project Runway from brother. It comes with 70 built-in stitches, including utility, decorative, and heirloom stitches, and an automatic needle threader, making this best project runway sewers perfect for beginners who need some guidance on getting started. The computerized model also features twin needles giving finishing touches by producing perfectly straight seams every time.
- Large back-lit LCD best project runway sewers. Great for best heavy-duty sewing machines beginners.
- Automatic thread cutter best heavy duty sewing machine for jeans best project runway sewers best heavy duty sewing machines best bag making best project runway sewers.
- Built-in free arm best heavy duty sewing machine with extension table best bag making. Can handle bulky fabrics and multiple layers of cloth best heavy duty sewing machine for jeans best bag making best heavy duty sewing machines.
- Comes with a hardcover best project runway sewers. The maximum speed is 850 stitches per minute best heavy-duty sewing machine for bag making.
- It can also be used as an embroidery-only model using the free arm feature best heavy duty sewing machine best heavy duty sewing machines best bag making best project runway sewers best heavy duty sewing machines.
- Lightweight at only 22 lbs best heavy duty sewing machine for jeans. Included accessory storage compartment and automatic thread trimmer make this model a great deal best bag making.
- 70 built-in stitches
- Automatic needle threader included
- Free arm for sewing pants, cuffs, and collars best heavy-duty sewing machine.
- Automatic one-step buttonholer best heavy-duty sewing machine for bags making the best heavy-duty sewing machine for jeans.
- They included instructional DVDs best heavy-duty sewing machines.
- Free motion quilting best heavy duty sewing machine with extension table.
- No free motion quilting table included the best heavy duty sewing machines, best bag making best project runway sewers.
The Juki DDL 555 is a heavy-duty, longarm quilting and sewing machine that offers exceptional performance. The device features an extra-large work area of 48 inches by 20 inches by 48 inches, making it ideal for larger projects. It has a maximum stitch length of 5mm, allowing you to create more detailed designs than most other machines in its class.
Maximizing your creativity, the Juki DDL 555 Heavy Duty Longarm Quilting and Sewing Machine includes 22 built-in stitches plus one 4-step buttonhole. This allows you to complete a wide variety of projects. The built-in stitches include straight, zigzag, and three types of stretch stitches for optimal utility.
In addition, the Juki DDL 555 Heavy Duty Longarm Quilting Machine includes several capabilities designed to improve efficiency and productivity. Start/stop control allows you to turn the foot pedal into an on/off switch for hands-free operation. Snap-on presser feet allow you to quickly change the stitch settings by switching out one foot for another. Measurement markings on the front rail make it easy to measure your fabric and reference previous measurements while sewing. Low shank presser feet are compatible with this machine, making using non-Juki feet in a stitch plate breakage. You can also adjust both the speed and pressure of the presser foot to provide optimal results in all circumstances.
Juki DDL 555 Features:
Forty-eight inches by 20 inches by 48 inches large working area three types of stretch stitches built-in 22 stitches plus one 4-step buttonhole start/stop control for hands-free operation measure marks on front rail low shank feet compatible snap-on presser feet adjustable pressure & speed foot pedal switches into on/off switch for hands-free operation.
- The Juki DDL 555 is a heavy-duty, longarm quilting and sewing machine
- It can stitch at speeds of up to 1,200 stitches per minute
- It’sIt’s designed with an automatic needle threader for faster and easier needle threading
- This machine also features a built-in LED work light to illuminate your workspace
- With its free arm system, you can easily sew cuffs or pant legs without having to remove them from the garment first
- Its large table lets you work on larger projects like drapes or bedding sets with ease
- Juki DDL 555 Specifications: Compatible Feet – Low Shank & Snap-on Maximum Stitch Length – 5mm Max Speed – 800spm Standard Accessories 1 large darning foot 1 mini hexagon screwdriver (0.8mm) and wrench (size 3/16″”) 2 snap-on presser feet: standard and roller foot Adjustable pressure and speed of the presser foot for optimal results in all circumstances Juki DT2000 Draw Thread Stand is sold separately Foot Controller Optional Carrying Case Optional Large Extension Table Optional.
- Comes with everything you need to start quilting straight away
- The ample space is excellent for working on larger projects like bedding sets or drapes
- Supports both low shank and snap on feet
- It’s somewhat bulky and heavy, which makes moving it around rather cumbersome
Brother PQ1500SLT is a perfect choice if you ask me for an equivalent to Juki DDL-555. Brother PQ1500SLT has been designed keeping the needs of quilters and embroiderers in mind. It includes a vast walking foot (7″ x 12″”) which helps you move multiple layers smoothly through your machine while keeping a crisp stitch line. Similarly, it also includes LED work area lights for quickly seeing what you are doing even in darker basements, attics, or garages. We have already reviewed this machine before, and our readers love it too! If interested, then check out Brother PQ1500SLT Heavy Duty Sewing Machine Review to learn more about this machine.
Features I like:
- Twenty-four built-in stitches including utility, decorative & buttonhole feet, etc., drop-in top drop-in bobbin system large area for quilting 7″ x 12″ walking foot LED work lights included 120V AC – standard electric current used in US homes! This means you can use it with any power source without worrying about voltage differences.
- What comes to my mind when I look at this machine? Well, the first thing that to my mind is the price tag. For just around $700, you get a heavy-duty longarm quilted sewing machine built to last and has all the stitches and feet you need for projects such as embroidery, quilting, garment construction, etc. The stitch quality of the Juki DDL 555 is excellent, given its price tag. I think this machine would be best suited for home sewers and hobbyists who do not want to spend a lot of money on a sewing machine but still expect it to deliver exceptional performance.
- For beginners who are excited to learn sewing, I recommend knowing your basics on a regular home sewing machine. This way, you will understand the importance of stitch quality and other essential things better. And then, when you wish to move up to heavy-duty engines – either this Juki DDL 555 or Brother PQ1500SLT, it is always better to afford both because they have different areas of specialization – regular home sewing & quilting/embroidery.
Highly affordable Heavy-duty Comes with an LED light Includes large 7″ x 12″ walking foot
- No start/stop button Stitch quality not as good as high-end longarm quilters
The Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is designed for the experienced sewer, with features that make sewing more accessible and faster. The automatic needle threader makes threading the needle a breeze. In addition to 600 built-in stitches, this machine has 13 built-in one-step buttonholes. It also includes five alphanumeric fonts and an automatic stitch length and width regulator to ensure consistent results every time.
One of the most valuable features of this machine is the quick set drop-in bobbin which allows you to easily change bobbins without having gg to remove the bobbin case. The free arm capability lets you sew close to flat surfaces, and an extension table is included for larger sewing projects. This machine has a generous throat space of 14 inches so that quilters can work on more significant projects.
The Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Heavy Duty Sewing Machine has many features that will make your life easier when you are in the sewing room, but it still maintains affordability, making it ideal for beginners or intermediate level sewers.
- Automatic Needle Threader Over 600 Built-In Stitches 6 Fully Automatic, 1 Step Buttonholes 13 Lettering Fonts & Monogramming Capability
- Free-Arm Sewing & Extension Table for Quilting Quick-Set Bobbin System (no need to remove bobbing case) Stitch Length & Width Regulator for Consistent Results Large Sewing Space with 14″ Throat Depth
- LOADS OF EASE-OF-USE FEATURES. The Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Heavy Duty Sewing Machine has many features that make sewing more accessible and faster.
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER. The automatic needle threader makes it easy to thread the machine, so you can get on with your project without wasting time or missing stitches because you’re trying to thread the needle!
- 600 BUILT-IN STITCHES INCLUDED. With 600 built-in stitches, there are plenty of options for creating beautiful projects right out of the box! Choose from decorative stitches, heirloom stitches, stretch stitches, quilting stitches, and more! It’sIt’s excellent for beginners who want to explore different stitches, and it’s great for experienced sewers who want to expand their stitch library.
- SEW LIKE A PRO WITH PRECISE STITCHES AND REGULATORS. With the automatic stitch length and width regulator, you have consistent results every time! This feature ensures that your seams are straight and even, so you can create professional-looking garments without wasting fabric or time.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES MAKE THIS MACHINE HIGHLY VERSATILE. You get an extension table with this machine to make large-area sewing projects easy! The free arm capability makes it easy to sew around tight curves like cuffs and sleeves, while the drop & sew bobbin system makes changing out bobbins effortless!
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED. This sewing machine comes with everything you need to start, including needles, bobbins, thread, etc. You can start creating beautiful garments and quilts right out of the box!
- MANY USER-FRIENDLY FEATURES MAKE THIS MACHINE EASY AND FUN TO USE. The Singer Quantum 9960 Computerized Fabric Heavy Duty Sewing and Quilting Machine also have a lot of other features that make the sewing process easy and enjoyable: automatic stitch length and width regulator; included five one-step buttonholes; exclusive quick set drop-in bobbin; self-threading needle; auto shut off after 1 hour of nonuse for energy efficiency; and a convertible free arm.
- 12 MONTH LIMITED WARRANTY INCLUDED. This sewing machine has a generous 12-month limited warranty that includes all parts and labor, which means that you can continue to enjoy this item for years to come! You can purchase it with confidence, knowing that Singer’sSinger’s warranty covers your purchase.
- Automatic Needle Threader Over 600 Built-In Stitches 6 Fully Automatic, 1 Step Buttonholes 13 Lettering Fonts & Monogramming Capability Free-Arm Sewing & Extension Table for Quilting Quick-Set Bobbin System (no need to remove bobbing case) Stitch Length & Width Regulator for Consistent Results Large Sewing Space with 14″ Throat Depth
- 600 built-in stitches for creating beautiful quilts and garments
- Sews beautifully with consistent stitch length, width, and quality
- Easy to the thread; no need to remove the bobbin case
- Large sewing space (14-inch throat)
No drop feed dog function
This Singer 5256C Heavy Duty Serger, and Sewing Machine is excellent for all your sewing needs. It comes with a 60% larger cutting knife, 2/3/4 thread capacity, eight built-in stitches, 1300 stitches per minute, 2 LED lights, and more. This Singer serger features an extra high presser foot lift that makes it easy to change the presser feet without bending down. The stitch length can be adjusted in 1/8″ increments from 0 to 7 mm for increased versatility when sewing different materials.
This machine has many great new features, including a giant front-load bobbin, exclusive no-waste thread system with tear-away looper for sewing without changing needles or thread, edge joining of fabrics by serging or cover stitching, an easy flatbed convertible free arm, and more. This Singer 5256C Heavy Duty Serger, and Sewing Machine is ergonomically designed at just over 30 lbs. It will not cause fatigue when in use for long periods.
Heavy-duty metal frame: The Singer 5256C Heavy Duty Serger, and Sewing Machine are excellent for all your sewing needs.
60% LARGER CUTTING KNIFE – This serger has a 2/3/4 thread capacity, eight built-in stitches, and a heavy-duty metal frame. It is the perfect machine for quilting, tailoring, embroidery, and garment construction.
2/3/4 THREAD CAPACITY – The powerful motor on this serger allows it to handle multiple threads at once. You can use two or three or four lines in any combination of colors to create unique designs with your fabric.
8 BUILT-IN STITCHES – You can use the stitches on this serger for everything from mending to sewing your clothes. 6 of the eight built-in stitches are adjustable in length and width, so you get more control over how they look on your finished products.
1300 STITCHES PER MINUTE – The speed of this serger allows you to get through projects quickly without sacrificing quality. Whether you are making custom clothes or fixing that loose seam in your favorite dress, you will be thankful for the high maximum stitch speed of this machine.
2 LED LIGHTS – This Singer serger has two LED lights attached to the frame near the needle and looper. They give you increased visibility when working with dark-colored thread or when working on detailed designs.
LARGE FRONT LOAD BOBBIN – The serger has a large front-load bobbin, so putting the spool of thread on the machine is easier than ever. You can also see at all times how many lines you have left in your bobbin.
NO WASTE THREAD SYSTEM – Have you ever used a serger where it seems like half of your thread is wasted every time you use it? This Singer Serger uses its exclusive no-waste system with a tear-away looper to ensure that all of your lines go to good use. You never need to change needles or rethread the machine, which saves time and money over time.
EDGE JOINING – You can use the serger on this machine to edge join two pieces of fabric. Use the serger to finish off seams or attach bias tape without changing your needle and thread. This lets you work efficiently, even when working with multiple fabrics at once.
- This Singer 5256C Heavy Duty Serger and Sewing Machine is ergonomically designed at just over 30 lbs., so it will not cause fatigue when in use for long periods.
- The serger has a large front-load bobbin, so putting the spool of thread on the machine is easier than ever. You can also see at all times how many lines you have left in your bobbin.
Top 6 best heavy duty sewing machines for bag making Buyer’s Guide
Now you are familiar with some of the best heavy-duty sewing machines for bag making, so here are some features to help you buy the right one.
- Speed, or maximum stitch speed, needs to be fast enough that it can sew through multiple layers of thick fabrics without causing any damage. The higher speed allows you to move more quickly and efficiently. Look for a machine that has at least 1,300 stitches per minute.
- Stitches per minute is how many stitches the machine can do in a single minute. You want to have something that has at least an average of about 800 stitches per minute because this will allow them to sew through most materials without slowing down too much. Anything below 500 is not recommended because they might struggle when sewing through thicker fabrics.
- Feed system refers to how many spools of thread can be loaded at once and how fast the machine can go while sewing. You must have many spools for this machine because you will create more waste if your material is not adequately secured on the device. The faster feed speed allows you to sew through multiple layers of fabric quickly without causing any discomfort or damage to your materials.
- Lighting goes hand in hand with visibility when looking for a heavy-duty sewing machine for bag making, so start by checking if they have built-in LED lights attached near the needle and loopers. Having additional lights around your work area will help you see what you are doing better than ever before, so you can spend less time completing your work and more time enjoying it.
- Ease of use might be an essential feature, so check to see if the machine has a host of automatic stitch features or any built-in buttons that you can use to help complete specific tasks. You want this machine to make your life easier, not harder!
We hope our best heavy-duty sewing machine for bag-making reviews has helped you find the right product to fit your needs. There are lots of options on the market, but having enough information about each one will help you pick the perfect one for yourself. Even if you are experienced with this machine, there is always something new worth learning about how it works and what makes them better than ever. Nothing can replace practice and skill, but improved technology makes it easier than ever to learn how to sew heavy-duty bags with these machines. Make sure you consider your budget and style preferences when purchasing, just like we did, and be happy with the results!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the foot pedal work with the needle in any position? I’m not sure if it’s “automatic” like a Toyota automatic transmission.
Yes! As long as you don’t manually lift and leave the needle down, then yes, it works excellent Question: Can I use this machine to do my taxes? Answer: Yes, you can if you download Turbo Tax 🙂
What is included with this unit? Like extra bobbins and needles and such. Or how many feet do they send so that we know we will have enough for our first marathon sewing session? Thanks!
There are four bobbins, two needles, one screwdriver/small wrench for a bobbin winder, 1 foot, and a ton of different-sized bobbins.
I have a question about long arm quilting machines. Can this be used for that purpose??
Yes, it can!
Hello, I am interested in this item but would like to know if it can do straight lines?
Is the overedge feature jam-proof? I was given a Singer Quantum 9910 and sent it back because the overedge stitch left bumps and ridges on my fabric?
Noooo! I found out after moving to an area where we don’t have quilting stores within 50 miles. So I immediately looked for a new one whose pricing was reasonable; that is how I came across your website
Where is this made?
It is made in Malaysia.